Saturday, October 17, 2009

Locavore

The Locavore movement is increasingly important in the United States and elsewhere as interest in sustainability has become more prevalent. Those who are interested in eating food that is locally produced, not moved long distances to market, are called "locavores".

In the early 1970's when I was growing up in southeastern Ohio we were all locavores.

Today I had the pleasure of cutting up my own pig. My pig was raised by a friend and farmer who took good care of it all summer long. No antibiotics, no stress, just apples, pasture and grain. As natural as it can be.

I know that my pig (that I split with my neighbor) was killed humanely and since we processed it, I know how it was processed. We cut the roasts, hams, bacon, chops and even ground the sausage. We wrapped everything and it is now in the deep freezer in the garage. The hams and the bacon we are taking to Barre, VT to Vermont Smoke & Cure to be smoked. The Smoke & Cure guys have been here for over 20 years and do a great job.

Tonight, I took a chop and pan fried it with salt and pork rub from Urban Herbs and it was tender and delicious. Now, I know that not everyone can do this or would want to do this but for me it was a privilege and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home