Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Joy of Preaching

Occasionally a congregation that is in-between ministers will allow me to bore them to sleep for a few Sundays. I like for congregants to go away revived or wake up refreshed from my sermons - either is fine with me since I recognize the importance of a good 30 minute nap. My latest victim has been the West Akron Church of Christ.

This church has been in a minister search for a year or more. They have signed a contract with a new minister and he should arrive mid January and I will recede into the background until I am needed again.

This time that I have spent studying and preparing for these sermons has been great for me. It has allowed me to rethink foregone conclusions about the text and look at the Gospel with fresh eyes.

I love the freedom that comes from not being financially tied to a church. There is a freedom that comes with that. Not a freedom to behave or preach irresponsibly but a recognition that my livelihood does not depended on preaching “correct” sermons.

I am a firm believer that the Gospel can be preached in a challenging way without being deliberately offensive and to any audience – liberal, conservative, those entrenched in tradition and those not. And I have tried to do just that. So far they keep inviting me back.

But a break will be nice and I am glad that Westside has found a new minister.

2 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Robert Vaughn said...

Jeff,
Thanks for being our "fill-in" for the last year or so. So many of your sermons that maybe weren't the usual "correct" ones where exactly what I needed to here and challenged my way of thinking! I always wanted to go home and study more after one of your Sundays.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger J A Pierpont said...

Robert - Thank you - you are very kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home