Thursday, December 04, 2008

Eggs over easy and four tortillas

I have seen Lyle Lovett several times in concert. He is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. You can tell from his music that he is a man that enjoys breakfast.

His song Nobody Knows Me is a striking tune and the first stanza is one of my all time favorites…

And I like cream in my coffee
And I like to sleep late on Sunday
And nobody knows me like my baby
And I like eggs over easy
With flour tortillas
And nobody knows me like my baby

Eggs over easy and four tortillas. I love a warm tortilla in my hand for breakfast. I really enjoy huevos rancheros.

One of my favorite breakfast dishes that I enjoy preparing when there’s company in the house are breakfast burritos.

You could probably assemble the dish the night before, wrap in plastic wrap and bake it off the next morning like an egg strata.

The Burritos

Dozen eggs
1/2 cup of whole milk or half & half
green/red pepper and half an onion (small dice)
8 large flour tortillas
Shredded cheese (Colby Jack)

Sauté the diced pepper and onion till soft. While that is cooking - in a mixing bowl add the eggs, a cup of milk or half & half and 1 tsp of salt – whisk together. Soft scramble the eggs until they just come together – remember they will firm up in the oven. Warm the tortillas and place the eggs and some cheese in each one and roll up. Place them in a buttered baking dish.

The Gravy

1 lb of your favorite breakfast sausage
1 TB spoon of flour
1 1/2 cups of whole milk or half & half - more if needed

Crumble and cook the sausage, pouring off all but 1 teaspoon of fat. Add the flour and continue to cook the sausage until the flour browns a bit. Stir in the milk or half & half a little bit at a time. Simmer, stirring till it thickens. Do not let it come to a boil. If it gets too thick just thin it a little.

Then pour the sausage gravy over the egg burritos and add a sprinkle of cheese to the top. Bake in a warm oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until things look bubbly. Serve with sour cream and a couple of salsas of varying heat on the side.

That, and some fresh fruit and you are all set.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home