Monday, October 16, 2006

The Best Laid Schemes O’ Mice An’ Men…

I had my weekend all planned out.

I made a list of things to do (I make lists and check them off) and started early Saturday morning. I cleaned off my work bench in the garage and then went in the house to take the air conditioners out of the windows. As I was raising a window up – I did it too forcefully and broke the glass with the heel of my hand.

Now there’s an unexpected twist. So I had to remove the window from the frame, take the window out to the garage and carefully remove the old glass and glazing.

Run to the hardware get a new piece of glass, window points and caulking. Install the new glass w/points and caulk it into place. Then haul the window back upstairs and re-attach the window weights and work it back into the frame. Put the frame back together and “Voila!”

But now it was 4:30 on Saturday afternoon and my list was shot. Kaput!

I was reminded that while we may make plans to do this or that - life happens.

On Sunday afternoon I was fixing dinner for my in-laws and the electricity went out… So the roast was shuffled to the grill and I used matches to light the stovetop and we had Sunday dinner by the light of the fading day. It turned out fine.

That’s not to say there weren’t a few choice words when the power failed.

When I fail to take into account both time and chance I set myself up for disappointment and or a big headache.

Sometimes the best laid plans get thwarted by…time and chance.

Sometimes the power fails. Or the guy in front of you gets the last two “Buy One Get One Free” items. Or sometimes you break a window and end up spending the rest of your well planned day doing something you had not planned.

Time and chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home