Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Peace...
















The following is the first post I published two years ago. Tomorrow I am headed up to our cabin in Vermont. It's a really shack. Thats it above.

And while it is a humble place it is a deeply spiritual place for me...

I enjoy being outdoors. I am a nature lover.

There are few things I enjoy more than being on the water in my boat. For my 40th birthday a few years back my wife surprised me with an Adirondack guideboat.

The guideboat was developed in the early 1800's in upstate New York and is a hybrid of sorts. It looks like a canoe only wider and it sits lower in the water. It has cane backed seats that face each other unlike a canoe where one person is always looking at the other person's back.

The best experience of all is rowing out early in the morning just as the mist is rising up from the surface of the water in the sun's warmth. The pond is flat and calm and the only ripples are from the wake of the boat and from the oars as they move through the water.

I live for that experience a few times each year. I row out to the middle of Coles Pond and cast out a line and watched as the sun creeps slowly over the mountain.

Sitting there in the soft morning light, listening to the sounds of the woods around me is more peaceful than anything I have ever found.

I don't know what puts you at peace - but I think it is safe to say that we all need more of those moments. We need moments where we can pull ourselves away from the rattle and bang of the world and have some time for peace.

And what brings you peace may not involve peace and quiet - but find a setting or an activity that brings you peace and take advantage of it as often as you can.

Peace.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful.

Do you ever rent that place out?!? ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home