Friday, July 21, 2006

I Am Going Green

We have been car shopping and have driven at least 6 different models and I keep feeling responsible for the environment.

I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe that drinks like a thirsty camel when we pull into a gas station. I ride the bus to work each day so I have not had to fill it up more than 4 or 5 times the entire year – unless we were driving to Vermont.

But my issues are two: 1. The amount of petroleum I use each time I fill it up and our national dependence on foreign oil. 2. How much carbon dioxide I spew into the atmosphere each time I drive.

Hybrids emit less pollution. Each gallon of gasoline not burned prevents the emission of 19 pounds of carbon dioxide which contributes to global warming.

So I am going green…We are still in the negotiation phase for a Highlander Hybrid

Hybrid systems come in different flavors, but most power their engines with a mix of gasoline and electrical power.

This mix of power sources solved the battery-recharging issues that prevented widespread acceptance of purely-electric vehicles in the 1990s. The electrical power is stored in batteries that are charged partly by the gas motor but also, ingeniously, by the energy released when you apply the brakes on your car.

Different amounts of electrical power are used at different speeds. At higher speeds, for example, the electric motor is just chipping in, while at lower speeds the electric motor takes over completely. A dashboard display tells you how much power is coming from each source as you go faster and slower, which savvy drivers use to see which speeds get you the best fuel efficiency.

I guess I am tired of talking about what we ought to be doing for our country and the environment and I am putting my money where my mouth is.

If you want to learn more about hybrids - click the link above.



3 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Larry James said...

Bravo, J.!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Guatorean Daddy said...

I saw your comments on Mike's blog, and had a Cleveland question.

I have an employee living in North Ridgeville that has expressed interest in attending worship. Is there a congregation close by that you could recommend. She is 43, divorced, and her only C of C experience was last Sunday here is STL.

Just click a reply on my blog if you don't mind.

By the way, I drive a (gas sucking) Tahoe, and my wife drives a Highlander. A Highlander hybrid would rock. I'm going to look into it!

Thanks,
Eric Cope

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Bernard said...

Hi Jeff

I'll be interested in seeing what you think about your ultimate choice.

Someone at work has that small Mercedes car. Holds 2 people, no luggage. But it gets around 50 MPG on the highway with the A/C on. I was at least a little tempted. But I've a great car that I can't afford to give up.

Oh well. It was good to see you at the last Walters wedding.

Cheers

Bernard Farrell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home