Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Here's the other side of change...

I have been remiss in posting for a couple of weeks because a winter cold has been keeping me down.

My neighbor, friend and personal physician is moving …to another state.

I hate the thought of having to find and train a new doctor. I have had this one for eight years. His personality suits me. He expresses concern for my health with just the right amount of empathy. I just got him trained and now I have to find a new one.

I don't know who said it but someone said, "The only person who loves change is a wet baby."

The older I get the more I hate change. I never thought I would say that. I have been a proponent of change – a change agent – if you will. And yet I hate change when it messes in my life.

In my twenties and thirties I would not hesitate to ask people to change. As a matter of fact - I made change a prerequisite to growth. "If you want to grow, you must change. You don't want to stagnate and die!"

Often people made the change I was asking for but did not, in fact, grow - they tried the change on and it fit them like a baggy suit.

Today I try and approach the whole idea with a bit more respect for other people and without the platitudes.

Change is inevitable - as long as you're alive you'll be in the process of change. So you can accept change or you can dig your heels in.

While digging your heels in may make you feel better - it denies you opportunities that you might otherwise have.

I am trying to stay open to the possibilities of change...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home