Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Cooking for a change...

One of things I enjoy doing as a hobby is cooking.

One of my favorites to cook is a beef roast. I love everything about browning it, putting it in a pot with celery, carrots and onions, seasonings, and then waiting as the house fills with the smell of dinner.

It reminds me so much of my grandmother's Sunday dinner when I was growing up. Beef roast or pork roast were all main course possibilities. My grandmother always made egg noodles with Sunday dinner from a simple recipe - 1 cup of flour, 1 egg and a half an egg shell of milk. The noodles were rolled out thin and cut on the counter and allowed to dry (covered with a towel) while we went to church.

Then later she would cook the noodles in a seasoned beef or chicken broth until they were tender. Sunday dinner was heavy on the starches which included either roasted or mashed potatoes, noodles, gravy, green beans or peas. And glorious, homemade, dinner rolls baked before church. But the roast was always the center of attention and fork tender.

Much of the way I cook today is rooted in the experiences of my youth. However, today when I take the occasional cooking class my experience is challenged by a new technique or method.
I always try to be open to practicing any new technique to see if it works for me and, if it does, then I try adopt it for regular use.

My grandmother's Sunday cooking is great - But I am not going to cook a roast every week like she did. I have learned to change and adapt to match our present day lifestyle.

Successful people do not find it easy to change. They just make a conscience effort to learn from change and be open to what innovation can teach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home